Monday 21 April 2014

"Normal Will"

Again, apologies for missing another week's update but with exams looming, I'm still trying to juggle revision and well, pretty much everything else!

Physically, I've been feeling pretty good of late. I'm not too exhausted and my recent steroids weren't as grim as they have been and so I think it's just as important to acknowledge the improvements as well as the more difficult effects of the treatment.

Earlier in the week, I chose to take a few hours out of my revision to meet up with some friends in town and I bumped into a friend I'd made while on the Royal Albert Hall trip. It was a very strange experience from me as it felt like two very different parts of my life had come together. I've always tried to keep my social life and school life away from hospital, tablets and of course that includes fellow patients on the ward. I'm not saying that that is the right or wrong thing to do, but it breaks down the oppressive nature of always having the idea of "cancer" around me and therefore I feel more like a "normal" teenager. However, chatting to my friend from hospital in town made me realise that there doesn't have to be such a distinct difference between "hospital/cancer Will" and "normal Will". At home I'm a bit of both and that seems to work so perhaps in the future, I'll be less inclined to compartmentalise who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment