Tuesday 6 May 2014

Term's Ending

I don't have too much to report from a medical point of view at the moment. My chemotherapy increased marginally again last week and since then I've had my usual steroids, but with those now out of the way I can now focus my entire attention on getting through the next month of exams. I'm pretty lucky in that my five exams are spaced out evenly across the next thirty days so hopefully by the last one, I won't be too exhausted for Scuba Diving the day after!

As I'm doing AS and A2 exams this year, I've been unsure as to whether I am meant to attend, or even feel comfortable being a part of, the annual Year 13 Leavers Day. The tradition of this day demands that Year 13's come into school on the last day before their study leave begins and awards are given out for "Best Student" and "Comedian of the Year"etc. However, as I'm not technically leaving the school next year, the "Leavers Day", didn't feel like it applied to me. After explaining my thoughts to a teacher, she offered her own view as to why she felt that it was important that I did go. She said to me that the Day isn't about all my friends going off to University and therefore, leaving me behind. Instead, the day represents the last school day before friends "Leave" each other and take the next huge step in their lives, whether that is another year of education at Sixth Form, or a Gap Year, or going off to University. So that's how I'm going to approach the day. It's definitely not what I would have chosen, but missing out on saying goodbye to people who I've been friends with for seven years would be much worse.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Will, I'm trying to contact you with a view to writing a newspaper article in The Citizen and Stroud Life, can you call me on 01453 753740. Email victoria.temple@glosmedia.co.uk
    thanks
    Vicky Temple, Reporter

    ReplyDelete