Sunday 26 October 2014

Thanks All Round

My performances of "Romeo and Juliet" as "Tybalt" concluded last night and looking back, the entire experience was amazing. I signed up with the Cotswold Players on a whim that it might be fun to do a little bit of acting, to meet some new people after my friends went off to University. I'm a pretty confident person when it comes to talking in front of large audiences anyway, through my public speaking, so I didn't think amateur dramatics could be too scary. Well, I've had an absolute blast. I've been lucky enough to make some really good new friends and while initially I felt out of my depth, every single member of the cast made me feel welcome and helped me improve my rather apt character, who was in essence, a grumpy teenager.

I now have so many fantastic memories and experiences that I can happily look back upon and which have definitely inspired me to join a theatre group at University next September! I know it sounds cliché, but I went out on a limb and put myself outside of my comfort zone, trying something I've never done before just to see what would happen and as you can probably tell, I feel like it has really payed off. Being part of the play over the last couple of weeks, has also been a real help in distracting me from worrying about University offers. Already people are beginning to receive placements and so by taking my attention away from that, I haven't caught my breath long enough to even think about it properly, after seven performances in just over a week and a half. At the moment I'm still on a bit of a high from our last night, but I know sooner or later I'll begin fretting, therefore I've already got a few events lined up to keep me busy. I should be giving a talk on why it is so important to donate blood in the next week or so at my school and also, in mid-November, I'll be speaking at the Find Your Sense of Tumour conference about this very blog and how it has helped me to deal with cancer by reaching out to other people in similar situations to me.

Anyway, with all that to come I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the upcoming couple of months and then, God forbid, it's Christmas...I've already seen Mince Pies going in Morrisons!

One final thank you must go out to all my doctors, nurses and everyone at Gloucester hospital who came to support me at the play and also, put up with my chopping and changing of treatment to fit around my performances, you're all absolutely brilliant and I'll see you on Monday for my steroids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment