Thursday 17 October 2013

Moving to Birmingham Children's Hospital

After I was diagnosed on the Wednesday, I urgently needed to move to a bigger hospital than Gloucester Royal. I had to be transferred as soon as possible but unfortunately I had had to remain in Gloucester for a blood transfusion before I could be moved. This meant that I was scheduled to leave on Friday evening, during rush hour. Originally, I was going to be moved to the large Bristol Children's Unit but unfortunately all of their beds were full, so instead Gloucester Royal called Oxford and again, there was no room. As a last resort Birmingham was called and before I knew what was happening I was strapped onto a bed with my arms by my side and wheeled into an ambulance.

I remember very little of the journey itself but I do recall being able to open my eyes to just stare at my Mum who kept asking if I was alright. I find it incredible now, but I was so weak I couldn't even answer her, instead I very slowly raised up one thumb of reassurance and tried to smile.

When we eventually arrived in Birmingham Children's Hospital I was taken to the children's ward immediately. Unfortunately, there had been a mix up with my age and the hospital was expecting a very weak 6 year old instead of a 16 year old! Obviously, the bed was too small and so I was taken up the few floors to the Teenage Cancer Trust ward which was designed specifically for young people. However, as I was to be taken upstairs as quickly as possible, the porters who were pushing my bed didn't realise that both of my canulas in the back's of my hand had been pulled out and I was bleeding quite profusely.

I arrived on the Teenage Cancer Trust ward still in a haze, not sure at all of where I was and what was going on. I do remember though, my Dad and sister and of course Mum who had driven up to Birmingham that night sitting with me, trying to encourage me to sit up in my bed and watch an England football match that was on the television.

That was one of the scariest times in my life because I honestly didn't know if I was going to make it through the night. What is important to mention is that every nurse, doctor, porter, ambulance driver and also my family were incredible that night and gave me the best chance of survival. I can't thank these people enough and I know for a fact that without their perseverance, I wouldn't be here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment