Monday 21 October 2013

Movember

Over the last week I've had a few ups and downs. I initially had a massive comedown from the incredible weekend away at FYSOT but have luckily managed to find (on Facebook) all of my new friends from the trip to keep in contact with them. I cannot reiterate enough just how much I'd recommend any young person with cancer, to attend this weekend in the future!

I feel I may owe some people apologies this week, particularly my close friends and family. One of the things that I did discover over the last weekend was that the chance of relapsing, particularly in Leukaemia, is a lot higher than I originally thought. I met young people who had relapsed and who had to endure a bone marrow transplant as well as radiation therapy and it did shock me that this happens to people my age. This week, it has been playing on my mind a lot, so I decided to ask to meet with my consultant today to discuss what was bothering me. 

I'm honestly so glad that I did have that conversation. He broke down using facts and figures the likelihood of me relapsing which confirmed my worries that yes there was a 10-20% chance of it happening, however, by treating me like an adult and being upfront, my worries really did reduce significantly. It was quite a scary conversation, but one that was definitely worthwhile and has relieved a lot of angst on my part.

Anyway, the final part of this post is that I want to show massive appreciation for my school, who spent half an hour today educating our Sixth Form on the typical signs of Prostate and Testicular cancer and are now striving to raise money for "Movember" to raise awareness of men's health. 

1 comment:

  1. hi Will again an amazing post… to send me the link to donate money to Movember jx

    ReplyDelete