Monday 10 March 2014

"They Think It's All Over"... Think Again

This last week has been full of highs for me! My high dosage of chemotherapy has definitely been tiring me out, but luckily I've had some other highs too that have been given me a real boost of confidence.

At the start of last week I received an email, inquiring whether I would still be participating in a Scuba Diving weekend in June that I signed up to last year. At the time of signing up, my doctors were very hesitant to make any permanent plans for the future. So I called up my team of doctors and was astonished to be told that if my condition did not deteriorate, I would be allowed to dive! The trip is to Lundy Island where I will get a chance to dive with seals. I haven't managed to Scuba Dive since treatment began and I was told that being diagnosed with Leukaemia would cause me to be prohibited from diving, so this is unbelievably good news for me!

Not only did the opportunity to Scuba Dive become available, but as I was feeling buoyed by my new sense of freedom, I also asked my doctors about the possibility of interRailing with my friends over the summer holiday. I had been told that travelling abroad would be nigh on impossible earlier on in my treatment as I needed regular blood check ups. However, once more my doctors discussed the possibility and again gave me the all clear so that I can travel, for three weeks, across Europe.

My final piece of major news is that earlier on in the month I had to receive extensive blood testing to determine how effective the treatment is. The results of these tests came back today and were very positive which is a huge weight of my mind. As an older teenager, as well as being male, my body metabolises the chemotherapy very quickly which is why in previous tests it would appear that the chemotherapy within my body is less than anticipated.

To round off a very good week, I have put myself forward to play in my school's B team football match this Wednesday and am very much looking forward to reclaiming my classic "poacher" role, up front... Bearing in mind that I haven't ever played football for a team before, I shall be hoping to emulate some of the greats of football including, of course, Geoff Hurst!

No comments:

Post a Comment