Thursday 28 November 2013

Little Victories

Watching the final few leaves abandon the trees this November, has reminded me of one of my favourite memories from this time last year. One particularly crisp and clear day, my Mum and I decided to travel to Westonbirt Arboretum. We wandered through the falling leaves and it was the first time that I had been up and about, active, for more than an hour or so. It felt fantastically uplifting and we both saw this as a real victory. That's when I realised that this period of time, was full of little victories.

My gland in my neck, which had swollen up before, was fluctuating in size daily and was causing a real increase in both mine and my family's worries. However, we spent a lot of the time trying to reach little targets in an effort to convince ourselves that we were beating my cancer. Walking through the Arboretum is just one example of a "little victory" but other things like, showering with no parent on standby in case I fell over, or the occasions when I was able to walk up the stairs to my bedroom and dress unattended, were all really important. Each small hurdle that I overcame was representative of a tick in the box towards me getting better.

Sometimes, there is no respite from the difficulties of treatment and all anyone can do is accept tough situations for what they are. However, other times, achieving the little things can go an awfully long way in proving to yourself that life does go on and things aren't always as bad as they first seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment