Monday 10 February 2014

Getting Plastered

I've had a fair amount of treatment this afternoon so apologies for the brevity of this post as shortly I'll be heading for bed!

Something that I've really enjoyed doing, since being diagnosed, is public speaking about the experience of cancer from my perspective. I've always felt confident about talking in front of any audience and my last year and a half of treatment as helped me put that passion of mine, to some use. I have given talks on behalf of Teenage Cancer Trust and various local blood donation charities and after appreciating the fact that people would be interested in my views, I've really thrown myself into as many opportunities as possible.

My Head of Sixth Form called me into his office today and being a typical 18 year old, I panicked! In actual fact, he was asking me to talk to some of the older students in an assembly, about why donating blood is so important. Safe to say, I was pretty relieved! I am also hoping to talk to some younger cancer sufferers who are reaching the end of their treatment, it came as a real boost to be seen as someone who is on maintenance and suitable to discuss my experience, as I'm no longer on intensive chemotherapy.

Finally, I'm just throwing this out there, but does anyone think that it's a little weird that I get to choose the plasters on behalf of the hospital and sadly, enjoy it very much even though I'm 18 years old?? I've got a great doctor who is a dab hand with the needles and is always happy to spend time selecting dinosaur plasters with me! It keeps me entertained.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't get nice plasters :( But I did get a blanket with monkeys so ha!

    ReplyDelete