Monday 24 February 2014

People Aren't All That Bad

Almost a whole week has passed now since I finished The Pink Escape adventure and I'm happy to say that the experience was a fantastic one. I had an absolutely brilliant time and as a collective of 33 we managed to raise over £8000 for Breast Cancer Care. Aside from the unforgettable event itself, the thing that struck me the most was how incredibly generous and keen to help/donate, the people who we met along the way were. Understandably, there was no shortage of inquisitive looks as we wandered through streets and railway stations around dressed in pink Lycra, but more often than not people would come up to us and inquire about the charity and show genuine interest and desire to help our cause. It was a once in a life time opportunity and not only did we manage to contribute, just a little bit, to a great charity, but on a personal note I had a bit of time away from hospitals and a really great time.

However, as my doctors did warn me, the days following The Pink Escape were really tough. I had pushed myself probably too hard and I was absolutely exhausted after we had arrived home, to the point where my body couldn't really cope and I ended up vomiting and effectively crashing, for the remainder of the week. While it took nothing away from the experience that I had enjoyed, I forgot (and should probably have learnt by now) to give myself a period of recovery. I'd had a lot of chemotherapy the week before I "escaped" and I suppose that I should have assumed that it would take a little while to get back to full health. Looking for what is good though, I'm really glad that I did push my body and I felt that I managed to prove to myself that cancer doesn't have to be an absolute controlling influence in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment